Thursday, August 16, 2007

A prophecy come true

While working for the Italian Ministry of Internal Affairs, on a social registry data exchange application, we faced the topic of validation rules applied to birth names according to the Italian law. I challenged the application submitting "boundary values" for names, while studying the law. So I discovered that Obi Wan Kenobi is a legal name while 2Kool, D3PO or C1P8 are not. Chewbacca is fine. Giulia and Julia are both allowed, while Juli@ is not. As always, anyway, the Italian law is open to different interpretations, cause it states that you can't give ridiculous or shameful names to your babies, but avoids to define what is exactly ridiculous or shameful.

Colleagues looked at me in strange ways (it often happens), but today I've got the proof that my concerns were right, somebody in China tried to call the son the name '@'… Read the Article (in Italian).

No comments: